• Printer Friendly Version

Building on a Century of Care

Building on a Century of Care

The history of CalvertHealth began in a two-story, frame building in 1919. Over time, as the county grew, so did the hospital – upgrading technology, improving facilities and expanding services. From these humble beginnings, it has transformed into a top regional healthcare provider, widely respected as a leader of innovative medicine among community hospitals.

Today, the health system includes the medical center in Prince Frederick along with an employed physician network, a diagnostic imaging center, urgent care facilities throughout the county and more. It is the largest private employer in Calvert County with close to 1,400 employees.

A lot has changed since CalvertHealth first opened its doors. There were less than 11,000 people living in the county then. Now, more than 91,000 call Calvert County their home. And that growth is expected to continue in the coming decades, especially among older residents. A total of 179 patients were cared for at the hospital in 1920 – now we serve approximately 420 patients every day.

There have been other changes, too. Our medical staff has grown to almost 350 providers, offering more than 45 specialties. Their outstanding care is enhanced by clinical alliances with metropolitan medical centers that bring the region’s top experts here to treat local residents close to home.

More recent advances, like the state-of-the art diagnostic imaging and the new, integrated information system completed in 2016, make it possible to provide even better care for you. In the fall of 2016, our Mobile Health Center took its first trip – traveling to underserved areas of our county – to bring local residents essential primary care and preventive services. These innovative approaches are reshaping wellness and helping to build a healthier tomorrow for our community.

Growing to Meet Community Needs

1919

Calvert Hospital of Calvert County opened its doors.

1953

Constructed “modern” 29-bed facility on land next to today’s hospital.

1971

Planned a 150-bed expansion to the hospital.

1973

Changed facility’s name to Calvert Memorial Hospital of Calvert County.

1978

Dedicated new hospital (today’s existing hospital).

1984

Added 50 beds and behavioral health unit.

1997

Opened first of three urgent care centers to offer after-hours care for all ages.

1999

Opened new birth center with all private rooms for individualized attention.

2006

Advanced cancer care with opening of regional radiation oncology center.

2007

Launched Calvert Physician Associates network for primary and specialty care.

2009

Introduced cutting-edge technology at new outpatient imaging center.

2017

Started three-story addition to increase number of private patient rooms.
Unveiled new name and new logo – CalvertHealth.