• Printer Friendly Version

CalvertHealth Timeline

CalvertHealth
Timeline

1918


John Gray conveys land in Prince Frederick for the 1st Calvert County Hospital.
1919


Incorporated as the Calvert Hospital of Calvert County – a private non-profit institution governed by an independent Board of Directors – opens its doors.
1926


The hospital building enlarges – adding wings to each side of the original structure (now the Calvert County Sheriff’s Office).
1948
The Board of Directors begins to plan for a new hospital building.
1949
Calvert County purchases 65 acres in Prince Frederick to construct a new hospital building.
1953


Located on the property adjacent to today’s hospital, a new “modern” 29-bed facility opens – funded by the county’s amusement tax fund.
1959
ER has three beds, doctors on staff, aide earns $20/week, C-wing is still segregated
1964


Eleven years after opening its doors, this new facility reaches 97 percent capacity.
1971
Board plans a medical office building and a 150-bed expansion to the hospital.
1973
The facility changes its name to “Calvert Memorial Hospital of Calvert County.”
1974


Legislation enacts an $8 million bond issue for the expansion of the hospital.
1975
One-story hospital building leased for 20 years to provide health-related services (now the Calvert County Nursing Home).
1976
CMH breaks ground for a new $8,893,500 hospital building; to be finished in 1978. Special Care Unit opens, First female doctor joins staff, Fathers allowed in delivery room, First accreditation issued for CMH.
1977


A new helipad allows Medevac helicopters to land at CMH.
1978


CMH dedicates its new hospital building (today’s existing hospital).
1980


New hospital building is at 97 percent occupancy. The board plans for another expansion.
1981
Certificate of Need approved for 20 psychiatric beds as part of a 50-bed expansion project.
1984


CMH adds levels 4 and 5 with 50 more beds and new Behavioral Health Unit.
1989
Calvert Health Ventures (CHV), a subsidiary of Calvert Memorial Hospital incorporates.
1991


The first medical office building (MOB I) opens next to the hospital. It is a partnership between physicians and CH. It houses an outpatient clinic, diagnostic services and physician offices.
1997


Creation of the Transitional Care Unit/Renovation of the Behavioral Health Unit. Dunkirk Medical Center opens. The 25,000-square foot CMH satellite features urgent care, diagnostic services, wellness programs, primary care physicians and specialists.
1998


CHV opens MOB II – 40,000 square feet of physicians’ office space attached to the west side of MOB I.
1999


MOB III opens to house new CT/MRI suite and additional physician office space. The project is owned by CHV. Grand opening of 34,000-square foot expansion including a new surgery center, new family birth center and a new wellness center as well as space for support staff. Solomons Medical Center opens. The 36,000-square foot CMH satellite features urgent care, diagnostic services, wellness programs, primary care physicians and specialists.
2001


Twin Beaches Community Health Center opens in North Beach. The CMH satellite provides primary, preventive and mental health services.
2004
300 new parking spaces added on hospital campus.
2005


New 10-bed Intensive Care Unit opens.
2006
A new helipad begins operations, the laboratory modernizes and Level 2 adds 16 inpatient telemetry beds.
2007


The Emergency Department expands, the Outpatient Concourse opens and the main lobby receives renovations.
2009


The 75,000-square foot Calvert Medical Arts Center opens on the CMH campus.
2014


Named one of the best regional hospitals for geriatrics in its 2012-2013 by U.S. News & World Report. Named by Consumer Reports as the #1 hospital for hospital safety in the Washington area. Awarded the 2014 Gold Plus Award by the American Heart Association for its outstanding stroke treatment for the 4th time. Received The Joint Commission “Top Performer” Gold Key Recognition for 3rd year in a row. Earned the Delmarva Excellence Award for Quality Improvement for the 6th time since its inception in 2003.
2015


Recipient of Healthgrade’s 2015 Patient Safety Excellence Award.
2016


Launched Mobile Health Center to remove barriers to access in underserved areas
2017


Broke ground on a $51-million, three-story expansion to increase the number of private patient rooms. Unveiled new name and new logo – CalvertHealth. Dedicated $12-million state-of-the-art diagnostic imaging. Garnered Health Quality Innovator Award. Received highest AHA honor for stroke care.